Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission if you make a purchase through our links, at no additional cost to you. For more information please visit our Disclaimers page.
Erin Swenson, Food Blogger
Table of Contents
Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe:
Who doesn’t love a good egg roll? Chinese takeout is a staple of so many people’s diets. However, traditional takeout is high in sodium and fat and low in other nutrients. These egg roll bowls are a lower sodium option, and are packed full of nutrients and antioxidants. They are a great dinner option for those trying to reduce sodium in their diet, following the DASH diet, and increase their vegetable intake.
Egg roll bowls are delicious the day of or as leftovers. This is a meal the whole family will enjoy packed full of flavor. These can be eaten on their own or over a bed of rice. If you are going to eat them over rice, brown rice is a good option. Not only does it provide additional nutrients and fiber, it also adds a delicious nutty flavor. If you want the rice texture but not the carbohydrates and calories, cauliflower rice works too.
How to Make Egg Roll Bowls Recipe:
The most time consuming part of this egg roll bowl recipe is cutting and prepping the vegetables. This can be done in advance to save time during dinner preparations, or many stores sell vegetables pre sliced. I like to buy the matchstick carrots, but I usually slice the rest of the vegetables myself.
- Chop head of cabbage, bell peppers, green onions, and carrots, and onion into thin slices.
Using half a head of green cabbage and half a head of purple can give this dish some color and added antioxidants. Red, orange, and yellow bell peppers work well in this recipe. They all have similar nutritional contents and taste similar. Bell peppers are high in vitamin C and A.
- Once the vegetables are prepped, minced garlic, minced ginger, and onion for a few minutes in a wok or large skillet. Then add ground meat of your choice and cook until browned.
For the meat in this recipe you can use turkey, beef, pork, or chicken. Choose a ground meat that is lower in fat, like a 93/7% or less. This helps eliminate the extra step of draining the fat off after cooking and helps reduce the total fat content of the meal. This recipe can also be made as a vegetarian option by leaving the meat out all together!
- While the meat is cooking, in a separate small bowl combine coconut aminos, low sodium chicken stock, brown sugar, teaspoons sriracha, sesame oil, Rice Vinegar, cornstarch and whisk together.
For the chicken stock in this recipe using chicken bouillon cubes or Better Than Bouillon helps reduce waste of extra stock. If you are using one of these options you want to make sure that the stock has had a few minutes to cool before adding in the cornstarch. If it is too hot the cornstarch won’t mix well with the other ingredients.
- Once the meat is browned, add the carrots and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cabbage and cook until wilted. Once the vegetables are all cooked add the above sauce mixture and cook for another few minutes. Remove from heat and add green onions and salt and pepper to taste. Remember to add salt sparingly as adding too much will increase the sodium content of your dish.
As mentioned earlier these egg roll bowls can be eaten on their own or over rice. If you want to kick up the heat you can add more sriracha to the sauce or drizzle sriracha over the top when serving. To add some texture and a little more variety in flavors, top it off with chow mien noodles, chopped peanuts, cashews, or fried wonton strips.
Easy Steps for Ready Egg Roll Bowls Recipe:
Servings: 8 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 15-20 Minutes Total Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients Egg Roll in a Bowls :
- 1 lb. Ground Meat
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 Green Onions
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Ginger
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sriracha
- 1 ¼ Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Instructions for Cooking Easy Egg Roll Recipe:
- Chop cabbage, onion, bell peppers and carrots into thin strips.
- In a wok or large skillet over medium to medium/high heat add 1 Tablespoon oil, ginger, garlic, and onion.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- While meat is browning combine chicken stock, coconut aminos, brown sugar, sriracha, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Once the meat is browned add carrots and bell peppers to it and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until slightly wilted.
- Once cabbage is wilted add the sauce from the small bowl and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in green onions.
- Serve over rice with chow mien noodles or chopped cashews for garnish.