Erin Swenson, Food Blogger
Table of Contents
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe Details :
Vegetable Beef Soup is hearty, comforting and delicious. The perfect hot meal for a cold winter day. It is loaded with vegetables and nutrients that your body needs. This recipe is simple and easy to make with whatever vegetables you have on hand. Beef is an added benefit when fighting a cold because it is high in zinc that helps build white blood cells. If you are trying to avoid red meats you can replace the beef with chicken or ground turkey, or make this recipe vegetarian by leaving the meat out all together.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup :
The perfect soup has to start with the perfect soup base. With a soup base consisting of onion, carrots, celery and garlic you can’t go wrong. With these four ingredients as your base you can make a simple chicken noodle, minestrone, vegetable beef, or sausage soup.
- Sauté onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in oil until the onion is translucent.
For the beef in this soup you have a variety of options. When I made this vegetable beef soup I used shelf stable shredded beef that I bought at Costco sold next to the other canned meats. You can use canned beef, ground beef, or stew meat in this vegetable beef soup recipe. If you are using ground beef make sure to find one that is low in fat. I prefer to use the 93%/7% when cooking. This reduces the amount of fat and calories in the recipe and also makes it unnecessary to drain the fat after cooking it. If you are using ground beef or stew meat, brown the meat and then add the other base vegetables.
This vegetable beef soup has 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Tomatoes are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, potassium and folate. They also contain lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that in some studies has shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers and heart disease. Lycopene also helps with eye health. Studies show that it can help prevent or reduce the risk of cataracts, as well as macular degeneration.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, the canned tomatoes, broth and seasonings, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes or so. Serve with whole wheat rolls and a salad.
Soup can be high in sodium. When making soup try and use low sodium broth. Low sodium broth makes this soup DASH diet friendly.
Optional: I like my soup with more veggies than broth. If you like more broth in your soup add another 2 cups of broth or water. Another great addition to this recipe is pearl barley. Pearl Barley is high in fiber, manganese, and selenium.
Basic Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe:
Servings: 12 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes
Ingredients easy beef vegetable soup:
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Onion
- 3 Stalks of Celery
- 2-3 Carrots
- 3 Potatoes
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 6 cups Broth
- 1 lb. Beef
- 2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Instructions of Cooking Soup beef:
- Cut veggies into ½ inch cubes.
- Heat a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add oil and brown beef if using ground beef. If using canned beef add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes, zucchini, diced tomatoes, broth, beef, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
This simple vegetable beef soup is a staple at our house especially in the winter. It is fast and easy to make up and also freezes well for later. vegetable beef soup pioneer woman.